Getting to Know You
The Career and Professional Advisors have two meetings in the first year with our first-year medical students (MS1). The main focus of the first meeting is a get to know each other. MS1s will be asked about his/her background, goals, support, and specific interests. Students are given an overview of what is ahead, as well as the spectrum of resources that are available at the college.
In meeting two, we discuss the MS1's progress, inherent qualities that the medical student possesses to help guide career choices, and student wellness. The Medical Specialty Preference Inventory (MSPI) is taken by the student and will be discussed. Options and plans are discussed for summer study in the Personalized Active Learning (PAL) block.
- Advisors and medical students engage in a discussion on the student-advisor relationship, on becoming a physician, resources for the students, and on professionalism during the new student orientation
- MS1s explore interests, realistic goals, and values during values action activity
- Advisors and MS1s debrief the MPSPI and discuss talents and preferences
- Advisors help MS1s develop a plan for the Personalized Active Learning (PAL) block
- Click this link to learn about the AAMC Careers in Medicine Website
- Click this link to learn more about Careers in Medicine Clinical & Research Opportunities